Hope House Children’s Hospices are celebrating the contribution made to the charity by 84 of their long-serving volunteers.
The annual Volunteer Awards ceremonies returned to the hospices in person this year after three years of online awards caused by Covid restrictions. Staff and volunteers alike were thrilled to be able to celebrate face-to-face!
In total, 84 awards were presented. Commemorating everything from three years to 30 years of service and also covering every area of the charity’s work, from fundraising to gardening and from trustees to charity shop teams.
The 30-year award went to Daphne Mathias, who helped to found the charity’s Llanfyllin Friends fundraising group. Six 25-year awards were presented to fundraisers Ken Arch MBE from Bridgnorth, Kicki Rouse from Wem, Enid Toft, Sioned Edwards, Carys Williams, and also Liz Williams from the Ruthin Friends Group.
Afternoon Tea and a Tour
The ceremonies at both hospices began with moving talks from mums Susie Seymour and Nerys Davies about the impact receiving respite care for their young sons William and Bedwyr has had on their families.
After being presented with their certificates by the vice chair of trustees, Barbara Evans, a volunteer for 33 years and one of the charity’s founders. The volunteers enjoyed an afternoon tea and also a tour of the hospices to see more of what their selfless volunteering makes possible.
Chief Executive Andy Goldsmith paid tribute to their talents and thanked them for their gift of time to the children and families.
“We have almost 500 active volunteers. If you add up all the hours that you donate to Hope House and Tŷ Gobaith every year, that equates to around £725,000 worth of time,” said Andy.
“Everything that you do, such as sorting and selling donations of our stock in our shops, helping at events, or tending the gardens at the hospices, directly translates into providing care for more children and families.
‘Without all of you, we would not have Hope House and Tŷ Gobaith. We need you so that the vital care can be here for every child and family who needs us. Thank you for making everything possible.”
This Year’s Full List of Recipients:
- Silvia Podolini (5 years)
- Heather Barr (5 years)
- Pauline Williams (3 years)
- Sandra Allman (10 years)
Christleton Friends Group:
- Celia Evans (15 years)
- Kerry Christmas (15 years)
Church Stretton Friends Group:
- Marilyn Evans (20 years)
Church Stretton Shop:
- Jo Bate (3 years)
- Ruth Trow (5 years)
- Ruth Jenkins, John Nelson and Shelly Jones (10 years)
Crewe Friends Group:
- Debbie Bilotta (10 years)
- Chris Johnson and James Morgan (3 years)
- Alison Bromley (5 years)
- Helen Moulton, Jean Warne, Valerie Shaw, Jane Blackwell and Debbie Newbegin (3 years)
- Sarah Quick (5 years)
- Anne Ashton (3 years), Karen Penney and Helen George (10 years)
- Kicki Rouse and Ken Arch MBE (25 years)
Hope House Gardener:
- Linda Evans (5 years)
- Sarah Edward (3 years)
- Penny Rogers, Kathleen Hammond, Ann Lancaster, Dilys Jones, Margaret Jones, Susan Bell and Earl Starkie (5 years)
Llanfyllin Friends Group:
- Daphne Mathias (30 years)
Llyn Peninsula Friends Group:
- Hywel Jones and Jennifer Jones (5 years)
- Julia Griffiths (15 years)
- Jenny Vaughan (10 years)
- Pat Hansen and Judith Mulliner (20 years)
Mold and Buckley Friends Group:
- Meryl Hayes (20 years)
- Andrew Ward and Jennifer Bourne (5 years)
- Elizabeth Pass, Irene Williamson and Allison Evemy (10 years)
- Joy Marriott (20 years)
- Mary Trow, Gill Hill and Cameron Paull (3 years)
- Alwena Evans, Irene Edwards, Margaret Morris, Mary Owens and Diana Barnes (10 years)
- Diane Seager (20 years)
Ruthin Friends Group:
- Anwen Jones (15 years)
- Enid Toft, Sioned Edwards, Carys Williams and Liz Williams (25 years)
Shrewsbury Harlescott Shop:
- Sonia Clayton and Julie Jones (3 years)
Shrewsbury Oteley Road Shop:
- Roger Pittaway, Sue Hill and Valerie Taylor (3 years)
- Keith Roberts (5 years)
Retail Stock Collector:
- Bryan Davis (5 years)
Telford Events Group:
- Clare Pitchford, Lesley Herrington, Charlotte Barker and Sarah Dickson (10 years)
Tŷ Gobaith Gardener:
- Elwyn Roberts (15 years)
- Graeme Harkness, Andrew Morris, Gary Morton and Kelly Stant (3 years)
Tywyn Friends Group:
- Trina Hawkes and Anita Inman (3 years)
- Gladys Jones and Dennis Jones (15 years)
- Tasmin Morris and Carol Lloyd (3 years)
- Janet Richards (15 years)
Finally, if you would like to read more charity articles, click here.