You can still enjoy a Friday night curry on Slimming World! This healthy chicken tikka masala recipe is a Syn-free version of the nation’s favourite.
- Juice of one lime
- 150g fat-free natural yoghurt
- Five levels tbsp of tikka curry powder*
- Four skinless and boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- One onion, grated
- Four garlic cloves, crushed
- A 2cm piece of root ginger, peeled and grated
- One red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- One tsp ground cinnamon
- One tsp ground cumin
- Six tbsp tomato purée
- Five tbsp of fat-free natural fromage frais
- A small handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped, to serve
Firstly, mix the lime juice, yoghurt and three tablespoons of the tikka curry powder. Season lightly, then add the chicken and toss to coat well. Marinate in the fridge for four hours or overnight if time permits.
When you’re ready to cook, preheat your grill to medium.
Secondly, spray a large non-stick frying pan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, chilli, cinnamon, cumin and also the remaining tikka curry powder and fry for two-three minutes.
Stir in the tomato purée and add 250ml of water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 12-15 minutes, stirring often.
Meanwhile, thread the chicken pieces onto metal skewers, spray with low-calorie cooking spray and grill for 12-15 minutes or until cooked through, turning occasionally. Remove the chicken from the skewers and stir into the sauce. Take the sauce off the heat, add the fromage frais and the coriander.
Serve hot with your favourite rice.
Flavourful basmati rice and onion infused with warming Indian spices
- 350g dried basmati rice
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- One small onion, finely chopped
- Three cardamom pods
- One heaped tsp cumin seeds
- Two dried bay leaves
- One vegetable stock cube, suitable for vegans
- Quarter tsp of turmeric
Rinse the rice in cold water and drain well.
Spray a deep non-stick frying pan with low-calorie cooking spray (choose one you can put a lid on as you’ll need to cover it later) and place it over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for five minutes or until softened. Flatten the cardamon pods with the back of a knife and add to the pan along with the cumin seeds, bay leaves and half a tsp of fine sea salt and stir for one minute.
Add the rice and stir until the grains are all coated in the spice mixture. Crumble in the stock cube. Mix the turmeric into 550ml of boiling water and pour this into the pan. Stir, cover, reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and leave to stand for 10 minutes without lifting the lid.
Finally, fluff up the rice, discard the bay leaves and cardamom pods and serve hot with your favourite curry. Enjoy!
Slimming World Vegetable Dhal
Try switching your usual Indian takeaway for one of Slimming World’s spicy vegetarian recipes. This tasty lentil curry recipe is super easy it also serves two as a main or four as a side.
- One medium onion, finely chopped
- 10g of fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- One large garlic clove, finely chopped
- Half a tbsp of ground cumin
- ½ a tbsp of ground coriander
- Half tsp of turmeric
- A quarter tsp of cayenne pepper
- Half a 227g can of diced tomatoes
- 125g of dried red lentils
- One vegetable stock cube, crumbled
- 100g of butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and grated
- One-two tbsp of chopped fresh coriander
Put all the ingredients apart from the coriander in a large saucepan over a high heat. Add 500ml of boiling water and bring to a simmer.
Moreover, cover, reduce the heat to low and cook gently for 20-25 minutes or until the lentils have cooked.
Lastly, stir through the coriander, season lightly and serve hot.
* Spice blends are free, as long as they’re made from herbs and spices only and don’t include any Synned ingredients like sugar, flour or oil. Also, check the label to be sure and count the Syns as necessary.
Thank you for reading ‘Chicken Tikka Masala‘. To view some more delicious recipes, click here.