Here are 31 interesting facts for you to impress your friends and family with!
AA – Alcohol Absorption
- The Golden Gate uses the longest bridge cables ever made. They can encircle the equator more than three times.
- You cannot digest alcohol; your body absorbs it directly into the bloodstream.
- Neuroscientists believe babies don’t dream for the first few years of their life.
- Humans have caused 322 animal extinctions over the last 500 years.
- Looking at cute animal pictures at work can make you more productive, a study claims.
- Alexander the Great founded 70 cities, naming at least 20 after himself and one after his horse, Bucephalus.
- Africa is more extensive than China, the USA, India, Mexico and a big part of Europe combined. It is also the continent with the most countries (54).
- The wars between Romans and Persians lasted about 721 years: the most prolonged conflict in human history.
- Barack Obama was the first sitting US president to visit a federal prison.
- London’s Whitechapel Bell Foundry (established 1570) cast the Liberty Bell and Big Ben. It is the oldest continuous business in the UK. Incidentally, both bells have a crack running through them.
Big Ben – Tiny Pennies
- Technicians use pennies to adjust the time of Big Ben.
- In 2016, Michelin awarded a star to a Singaporean street food vendor.
- Iceland has Europe’s largest banana plantation.
- Your brain keeps developing until your late 40s.
- Your brain uses 20% of the total oxygen and blood in your body.
Crikey, Cobber! Au-calyptus
- According to data analysed from Facebook, the weeks before Christmas are the most popular time for couples to break up.
- Goldfish can see infrared radiation that is invisible to us.
- Figures suggest The Bible is the best-selling book of all time with estimated total sales of over five billion copies.
- Eucalyptus trees contain small traces of gold.
- Coffee beans aren’t beans. They are fruit pits.
“Hey Google, Give Me a Backrub”
- One billion people speak English. That’s one in every seven on earth.
- When a Google team member dies, their spouses receive half pay from the company for 10 years and their children US$1,000 per month until they turn 19.
- The word “mortgage” comes from a French word that means “death contract”.
- Ninety per cent of everything written in English uses just 1,000 words.
- The original name of Google was “Backrub”.
What’s the New Word Today?
- We create a new word in English every 98 minutes.
- White chocolate isn’t technically chocolate as it contains no cocoa solids or cocoa liquor.
- The inventor of the chocolate chip cookie sold the idea to Nestlé Toll House in return for a lifetime supply of chocolate.
- Lightning strikes men five times more often than women.
- Spiders can walk on water and breathe under it too.
- Babies have three times as many taste buds as adults.
Thank you for reading ‘31 facts for you‘. Click here for more from our Do You Know? series.