As we get further and further into winter, the Christmas lights start to twinkle, and I have certainly already got a set of outside ones up and running.
Cold and Damp
But it can be a cold and damp time of year, not always the joy of a crisp white Christmas, and it’s perhaps not the ideal time to be staying outside for too long. So, there’s no cozier way to celebrate this time of year than by curling up with some good winter reads. This Christmas, consider the gift of heart-warming pet tales, offering not only delightful reading for yourself but also the perfect present for the pet lover in your life.
The recommended reads I have selected provide a warm escape into the world of our beloved animal companions, capturing the essence of the special connection we have with pets: that enduring bond. Hopefully, you will find something you like and that can offer a delightful mix of heart-warming stories, insightful observations, and inspiration.
The Art of Racing in the Rain – Garth Stein:
- Narrated by a philosophical dog named Enzo, this novel offers a unique perspective on life, love, and loyalty.
All Creatures Great and Small – James Herriot:
- A classic collection of stories from a Yorkshire veterinarian, capturing the humour and warmth of working with animals.
A Street Cat Named Bob – James Bowen:
- How one man and his cat found hope on the streets.
The Inner Life of Cats: The Science and Secrets of Our Mysterious Feline Companions – Thomas McNamee:
- An insightful exploration of the mysterious and captivating world of cats.
Marley & Me – John Grogan:
- A heart-warming memoir about a lovable Labrador Retriever and the life lessons he teaches his family.
Wesley the Owl: The Remarkable Love Story of an Owl and His Girl – Stacey O’Brien:
- A memoir about the unique bond between a biologist and a barn owl named Wesley.
H is for Hawk – Helen Macdonald:
- A captivating memoir about grief, falconry, and the author’s relationship with a goshawk.
The Cat Who Could Read Backwards – Lilian Jackson Braun:
- The first book in the The Cat Who… mystery series features a Siamese cat named Koko and his owner, Jim Qwilleran.
Following Atticus: Forty-Eight High Peaks, One Little Dog, and an Extraordinary Friendship – Tom Ryan:
- The inspiring journey of a man and his small dog as they conquer the White Mountains of the Appalachians.
Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behaviour – Temple Grandin and Catherine Johnson:
- A fascinating exploration of animal behaviour by renowned animal scientist Temple Grandin, offering insights into the minds of various species (one of my favourites).
Nigel: My Family and Other Dogs – Monty Don:
- Monty relates his relationships with Nigel, the family pet, and other special dogs in his life in a memoir of his dogs’ past and present.
Merry Christmas, everyone!