Home Community Council to Help Landlord and Tenant Energy Efficiency

Council to Help Landlord and Tenant Energy Efficiency

by Adam Howarth, Editor
Council to Help Landlord and Tenant Energy Efficiency

Private rental properties have had to meet a minimum energy performance rating of “E” on their energy performance certificate (EPC) since April 2020.

Unless an exemption has been registered for the property, it is unlawful to rent out homes below that. Failure to comply with minimum energy efficiency standards (MEES) could see fines of up to £5,000 issued per property.

Council Campaign

WCBC are running a promotional campaign to reach as many landlords as possible. The campaign provides information about MEES requirements and also indicates available funding assistance sources.

Local authority officers have various tools to address MEES compliance in the borough. Officers will identify noncompliant properties and engage with landlords and letting agents to raise the property to at least an EPC band “E”.

What Is the Aim?

The intervention aims to achieve compliance with the MEES for private rented properties. Achieving this compliance will reduce the number of tenants exposed to excess cold, reduce fuel poverty and also improve the energy efficiency standards of accommodation in the private rental sector.

Officers can take enforcement action in cases of noncompliance. They will serve fixed penalty notices where there is continued non-compliance and prosecute if the penalty fine remains unpaid.

Council to Help Landlord and Tenant Energy Efficiency

Action for Landlords

Suppose you are letting a property with an EPC rating of “F” or “G”, and you haven’t taken action. In that case, you must improve the property’s to a minimum rating of “E” or register an exemption where applicable.

If you do not have a valid EPC for the property, you must carry one out. Ensure the property complies with the minimum required rating of “E” or register an exemption.

The EPC outlines measures to help you improve the energy rating. Moreover, making improvements could also add value to your property.

Several schemes can fund the necessary home energy improvements, visit simpleenergyadvice.org.uk.

Energy Company Obligation funding is the main scheme for supporting energy-efficiency improvements, including fitting insulation and heating improvements in low income and vulnerable households. Speak to your energy supplier.

What About Tenants?

Tenants who feel their home would benefit from improvements should also speak to their landlord or letting agent. As a tenant, you may be eligible for free energy efficiency grants to help your landlord carry out required improvements.

Grants awarded will fund the recommended work, and you will benefit from a warmer, more efficient property with lower fuel bills.

Finally, thank you for reading ‘Council to Help Landlord and Tenant Energy Efficiency’. For more community information, click here.

Related Articles

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More