Happy Easter! Do you want to know what we have in store for you? You can also read more of our facts here.
Have an Egg-Stra Special Easter
- The first story of a rabbit (later named the “Easter Bunny”) hiding eggs in a garden was published in 1680.
- The Earth’s core is about as hot as the sun (around 5,200°C).
- Earth is the only place in the Solar System where water is present as a solid, liquid and vapour.
- Monkeys raised a kidnapped Colombian child left abandoned in the jungle.
- Jamaica, Colombia and St Lucia are the only countries where a woman is more likely to be a boss than a man.
“Eye” Feel Sleepy!
- We spend about 10% of our waking hours with our eyes closed while blinking.
- Breastfeeding a baby may reduce the risk of a woman developing Alzheimer’s disease by 22%.
- Babies have three times as many taste buds as adults.
- Graca Machel is the only woman to have been first lady of two separate countries: Mozambique and South Africa.
- The first president of Zimbabwe was President Canaan Banana.
The Purr-Fect Pet
- Canada is the world’s most educated country: over half its residents have university degrees.
- Canada has more lakes than the rest of the world combined.
- Owning a cat can reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes by more than a third, researchers found.
- Adult cats only meow to communicate with humans.
- Water in faults vaporises during an earthquake, depositing gold, according to the journal Nature Geoscience
‘Just Keep Swimming, Just Keep Swimming…’
- One pint of donated blood can save up to three lives.
- China is the world’s largest exporter and also the second-largest importer of goods.
- When Disney released Princess and the Frog in 2009, 50 children in the US were hospitalised with salmonella from kissing frogs.
- Koalas are excellent swimmers.
- Many fish can taste without even opening their mouths.
Drop It Like It’s Hotspot
- Dogs and cats only sweat from their footpads and nose.
- Humans shed about 600,000 particles of skin every hour.
- Kris Kristofferson landed a helicopter on Johnny Cash’s lawn to convince him to listen to his songs.
- The “Fi” in “WiFi” is meaningless. It is used because it rhymes with “HiFi”.
- If everyone in the world washed their hands properly, a million lives would be saved a year.
- Over 500 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute.
- The video to PSY’s “Gangnam Style” broke YouTube’s view counter.
- Only qualified doctors can give tattoos in South Korea.
- Doritos originated from leftover tortillas at Disneyland.
- Papaphobia is the fear of the Pope.