Welcome to our Do You Know series, we have plenty of facts for you to share with all your friends and family! You can also find more here.
A Coffee a Day Keeps the Gallstones Away
- A 2019 study found drinking more coffee may reduce the risk of developing gallstones.
- Your first impression of someone only takes a tenth of a second.
- The pressure to feel upbeat can make you feel downbeat. Psychology researchers found embracing your darker moods is better in the long-run.
- A 2018 psychology study found millionaires who have earned their wealth are moderately happier than those who inherited it.
- Childhood bullying can cause lifelong psychological damage, including depression, anxiety, social withdrawal and severe trust issues.
What Came First the Chicken or the Egg?
- George Washington moved his slaves in and out of Pennsylvania every six months so they couldn’t take advantage of the law stating slaves residing in the state longer than that could claim freedom.
- Asteroid 5535 Annefrank was renamed in her honour in 1995, after having been discovered in 1942.
- McDonald’s buys about 2 billion eggs every year for their U.S. restaurants alone.
- A billion hours of video are watched on YouTube every day.
- Latin had about 800 obscene words; English has only about 20.
A Fin-Tastic Swimmer
- People who eat dark chocolate are less likely to be depressed, a large study found.
- The fastest a dolphin can swim near the surface is 33.5 mph.
- Enric Marco, a Catalan mechanic, was a prominent public face of Spanish Holocaust survivors for decades… until his story was revealed to be a lie.
- About 20% of the world’s tech founders are immigrants, even though immigrants only make up about 4% of the world’s population.
- No-one knows what Machu Picchu was used for, but some believe it was a royal estate or a secret ceremonial centre.
Global Traffic Jam!
- In 1924, half the cars in the world were Fords.
- During Elvis Presley’s childhood, the family often relied on help from neighbours and government food assistance.
- When Steve Jobs was at his deathbed, he asked for five different oxygen masks so that he could choose the one with the best design.
- Netflix is responsible for 15% of global Internet traffic.
- A study found people who think their opinions are superior to others may overestimate their relevant knowledge and ignore chances to learn more.
The Blessed War
- There’s a child called Netflix de Jesús Rodríguez Restrepo in Colombia.
- Lightning hasn’t brought down a plane since 1963 due to careful engineering that lets the electric charge of a lightning bolt pass through and out of them.
- Seven-year-old Ryan earned US$22 million on YouTube channel Toysreview in 2018.
- By 2018, the US had 101 people who owed at least $1 million in federal student loans.
- An ostrich’s eye is larger than its brain.
- For many Icelanders, WW2 is actually known a “the blessed war” because it gave the country its independence.