Welcome to our Do You Know series, we have plenty of facts for you to share with all your friends and family! You can also find more here.
You’re Also a Wizard, Obama!
- The pressure to feel upbeat can make you feel downbeat. Psychology researchers found embracing your darker moods is better in the long-run.
- Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.
- Antarctica was once as warm as modern-day California.
- Former US President Obama read every Harry Potter book.
- Canada is the second largest country in the world by total area.
Straight to the Bloodstream
- Christianity began as a Second Temple Judaic sect in the mid-first century in Judea. It quickly spread to Europe, Mesopotamia, Asia and by the fourth century had become the official state church of the Roman Empire.
- Alcohol is not digested; it gets absorbed directly into the bloodstream.
- There are over 28 million cancer survivors worldwide.
- The King James Bible has inspired the lyrics of more pop songs than any other book.
- One pint of donated blood can save up to three lives.
- Most dinosaurs are known from just a single tooth or bone.
- New brain connections are created every time you form a memory.
- There’s a virus that attacks human DNA making people less intelligent, impairing brain activity, learning and memory.
- We spend about 10% of our waking hours with our eyes closed, blinking.
- Researchers have successfully used the game TETRIS to treat “lazy eye” in adults.
Crushing Grapes, One Barrel at a Time
- Over 100,000 new dot com domains are registered on the web every day.
- Italy is the largest producer of wine in the world.
- More than a third of single Italian men between the ages of 30 and 35 live with their parents.
- Studies suggest premature babies are more likely to be left-handed.
- Men were the first to wear high heels around the 1600s. Women began wearing them to look more masculine.
Centuries of Island Life
- A man walks about 7% slower when with wives or girlfriends, and speeds up when with other men.
- Women say about 20,000 words a day. That’s 13,000 more than the average man.
- In Russia, there are nine million more women than men.
- A teaspoon of water contains about 500 sextillion (21 zeros!) atoms in it.
- People who regularly eat dinner or breakfast in restaurants double their risk of becoming obese.
- Pre-Incan people are still living on manmade floating islands of grass on Lake Titicaca, as they have for hundreds of years.