Welcome to our Do You Know series, we have plenty of facts for you to share with all your friends and family! You can also find more here.
One Word, Two Meanings
- A “butt” was a Medieval unit of measure for wine.
- Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is a fear of long words!
- The Spanish word “esposas” means “wives” or “handcuffs” in English.
- Ronaldinho’s deal with Coca-Cola ended after he was caught sipping a Pepsi in a news conference.
- If you search for “askew” in Google, the content will tilt slightly to the right.
Once You’ve Heard One Rugby Joke, You’ve Heard a Maul
- A Cleveland Browns fan requested six Cleveland Browns pallbearers at his funeral so “the Browns could let him down one last time”.
- Paris Syndrome is a psychological disorder, mainly suffered by Japanese people, caused after realising Paris isn’t what they expected.
- Dorset, Minnesota elected a 3-year-old boy as mayor.
- Greek mythology believed that redheads turn into vampires when they die.
- The scientific name for the Western lowland gorilla is Gorilla gorilla gorilla.
Look Hoo’s Talking!
- There’s an official league for rock, paper, scissors in the US.
- Shakira was rejected from the school choir because the teacher thought she sounded like a goat.
- Leonardo DiCaprio’s name is Leonardo because his mother was standing in front of a Leonardo Da Vinci’s portrait when he first kicked.
- A group of owls is a Parliament.
- 35% of American workers said they would forgo a pay raise in exchange for having their boss fired.
Making Pour Decisions
- In ancient Greek, the word “idiot” meant anyone who wasn’t a politician.
- West Side Story was originally East Side Story.
- The word “school” comes from the ancient Greek for “free time.”
- The CIA reads up to 5 million tweets a day.
- Most people can’t distinguish expensive wines from inexpensive ones, a study proved.
2, 4, 6, 8….Who Do We Need to Isolate?
- ”Odd” and “Even” are popular names for males in Norway.
- A group of crows is a “murder”.
- A man named Moondyne Joe escaped prison so many times, that police built a special cell for him – he escaped from that as well.
- There’s a hill in New Zealand called Taumatawhakatangihanga- koauau-o-tamatea-turipukakapiki- maunga-horo-nuku-pokai-whenuakitanatahu.
- Viruses can get viruses.
- The only member of the band ZZ Top not to have a beard is Frank Beard.
- The Hundred Years’ War lasted for 116 years.
- Over 80,000 people graduated from McDonald’s Hamburger University with a bachelor’s degree in hamburgerology.
- The word “censorship” is censored in China.
- Cows moo in accents specific to their region, just like humans.