- One of the most dangerous insects in the world is the common housefly. They carry and transmit more diseases than any other animal in the world.
- Wrexham is host to three of the seven “Wonders of Wales”: St Giles’ Church, The Gresford Bells and the Overton Yew Trees. A fourth, the Pistyll Rhaeadr Waterfall in Powys, is only a few miles from its south-westerly border.
- The fastest moving land snake is the Black Mamba. It can reach up to seven miles per hour.
- WD-40 got its name because the final formula needed 40 attempts to perfect.
- The American architect Alfred Mosher Butts invented the game we now know as Scrabble. He’d originally called it “Criss-Crosswords”.
Red Is the New Black
- On average, redheads have 90,000 hairs. People with black hair have about 110,000.
- The colour blue has a relaxing effect and causes the brain to release calming hormones.
- Rob McElhenney and Ryan Reynolds had never met each other before their purchase of Wrexham AFC in February. They actually only met in person three months later.
- A mother hen turns her egg approximately 50 times a day to prevent the yolk sticking to the shell.
- Grapefruit may have got its name because it grows like grapes in clusters. One cluster can have up to 25 grapefruits.
Barn Owls Don’t Need to Eat Carrots to See Their Prey in the Dark
- Barn owls’ hearing is so highly developed, they can hunt their prey in total darkness.
- David McConnell started the California Perfume Company in 1886. The business changed its name to Avon in 1950, in tribute to McConnell’s favourite playwright William Shakespeare and Stratford on Avon.
- Bubble gum is pink because the inventor only had pink colouring left. Ever since then, the colour of bubble gum has been predominantly pink.
- Jupiter is the fastest-rotating planet. It can complete one revolution in less than 10 hours.
- Some people have suggested that Scottish shepherds are responsible for inventing the game of golf. They apparently used their crooks to hit stones and the game developed from there.
“We’re Going on a Wood Hunt”
- A violin contains 70 separate pieces of wood.
- The attendance of 9,813 for Wrexham AFC’s game against Torquay United last month was the third highest league attendance in its history. The all-time record is 34,445 for the FA Cup fourth-round clash against Manchester United in 1957 (source: 11v11.com).
- A giraffe is able to clean its ears with its tongue.
- In Denmark, people eat about 36 pounds of sweets a year. The highest consumption of any country.
- In 1916, Charlie Chaplin was making US$10,000 a week, making him the highest paid actor of his time.
Who Knew That Tools Could Become Toys?
- An airplane mechanic invented the Slinky. He was playing with engine parts and realised the possible secondary use of one of the springs.
- Over nine waterways run across Wrexham. There are two rivers flowing through the town: the Clywedog and Gwenfro. Others include the river Alyn, the Cegidog (just west of Ffrith), the Ceiriog, the Dee, the Eitha (Pen-y-Cae), Nant-y-Ffrith (just north of Bwlchgywn) and Wych Brook (near Whitewell and Iscoyd Park hotel).
- Diamonds were first discovered in the riverbeds of the Golconda region of India over 4,000 years ago.
- In Greece, the climate is so warm that many cinemas do not even have roofs.
- One out of five people that eat ice cream, binge on it in the middle of the night. The person is usually between 18 and 24 years old.
Use Your Walnut!
- Romans used to believe that walnuts could cure head ailments during the Renaissance, since their shape was so similar to that of a brain.
- Atari had to bury millions of unsold “ET” game cartridges in a New Mexico desert landfill in 1982.
- Ancient Incan Indian ceremonies were only official when couples took off their sandals and handed them to each other.
- The papaya tree is known as “the medicinal tree” in some cultures because its seeds and leaves have been used as ingredients in different medicines.
We hope you enjoyed reading ‘The Wonders of Wales and More Fun Facts!’. For more in our Do You Know series, click here.