Do you know? – We have 30 fun facts for you to read, in our latest ‘Do You Know?’ series. If you would like to read more fun facts, click here.
‘From Paris To Berlin…’
- The cities of Aachen, Regensburg, Frankfurtam-Main, Nuremberg, Weimar, Bonn and Berlin have all been capitals of Germany.
- Berlin is nine times larger than Paris and has more bridges than Venice.
- Your mobile phone has more computing power than the computers used for the Apollo 11 moon landing.
- For every million tons of oil shipped, about one ton is spilled.
- Earth is the only place in the Solar System where water can be present in its three states: solid, liquid and vapour.
Apple Is Rolling In All That Money
- During Prohibition, toxic ingredients were added to industrial alcohol to deter people from drinking it. Over 10,000 people died as a result.
- Apple has more operating cash than the US Treasury.
- The Titanic’s chief baker “fortified” himself with alcohol and thus survived the freezing water for two hours until he was rescued.
- A scientific method called “toxineering” turns venoms into painkillers.
- In 2009, Nigerian Police arrested a goat on suspicion of attempted armed robbery.
- Alexander the Great, Napoleon, Mussolini and Hitler all suffered from ailurophobia, the fear of cats.
- The human eye can distinguish about 10 million different colours.
- Some women can have a genetic mutation which causes them to see millions of more colours.
- Google earns more a year from advertising than the primetime revenues of CBS, NBC, ABC, and FOX combined (£16.4 billion).
- Iran arrested 14 squirrels for spying in 2007.
Just Catching Some ZZZ’s
- The fastest goal in football history was scored just over two seconds after kick-off.
- The Vatican has its own male and female football teams.
- Nomophobia is the fear of being without your mobile phone or losing your signal. It is one of more than 400 distinct phobias.
- Sleeping on the job is acceptable in Japan, as it’s viewed as exhaustion from working hard.
- An ostrich’s eye is bigger than its brain.
‘Tung’ Or ‘Tong’?
- Similar to fingerprints, everyone also has a unique tongue print.
- If you have a pizza with radius Z and thickness A, its volume is = PiZZ*A.
- Ancient Babylonians did maths in base 60 instead of base 10. That’s why we have 60 seconds in a minute and 360 degrees in a circle.
- At just four years old, mathematician Paul Erdos could, if given a person’s age, calculate in his head how many seconds they had been alive.
- Complaining releases tension thereby increasing immunity, boosting health and leading to longer life.
“What Came First…?” – The Chicken Did!
- To study the health effects of coffee, King Gustav III of Sweden commuted the death sentences of a pair of twins as long as one drank three pots of coffee and the other tea for the rest of their lives.
- Scientists have concluded the chicken came first, not the egg, because the protein which makes egg shells is only produced by hens.
- Goldfish can see infrared radiation that is invisible to us.
- One puffer fish contains enough poison to kill 30 people.
- Over 20 million bats live in Bracken Cave, Texas – the world’s largest colony of bats.