We have some strange facts for you! To read more fun facts, click here.
Holy Crêpe They Were Conned
- About 90% of the world’s earthquakes occur along the Ring of Fire, an area in the basin of the Pacific Ocean.
- Harry Potter and author JK Rowling share the same birthday.
- Instant coffee was invented by a man called George Washington around 1910.
- The notorious con artist Victor Lustig convinced some scrap metal dealers that the French government wished to sell the Eiffel tower for scrap. After one of them agreed to pay Lustig a large bribe to secure ownership of the tower, the con man took his bribe and fled to Austria.
- In the Netherlands, there are dozens of public facilities where you can bring recreational drugs, including marijuana, cocaine and ecstasy to test if they are safe.
Eye See You!
- The Amazon rainforest encompasses an area of 2,100,000 square miles, twice the size of Argentina.
- Bill Gates aimed to become a millionaire by the age of 30. However, he became a billionaire by 31.
- If the human eye was a digital camera, it would have 576 megapixels.
- There’s a nude beach under the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.
- Despite its “Sunshine State” nickname, Florida is not the sunniest state. Arizona is, closely followed by Nevada.
“Off With Their Heads!”
- Headless cockroaches are capable of living for weeks. They die from starvation.
- On average, people who complain live longer. Releasing the tension increases immunity and boosts their health.
- The 9/11 attacks destroyed US$100 million worth of art, including pieces by Pablo Picasso.
- Life expectancy in Ancient Rome was from 20 to 30 years.
- The wars between Romans and Persians lasted about 721 years, the longest conflict in human history.
- Antarctica was once as warm as modern-day California.
- Air pollution in China increases snowfall in California.
- Dolphins recognise and admire themselves in mirrors.
- There’s only one STOP sign in the entire city of Paris.
- You typically only breathe out of one nostril at a time.
It’s Okay Not to Be Okay
- India’s Hindu calendar has six seasons: spring, summer, monsoon, autumn, winter and prevernal.
- Police officers in one state in India receive a slight pay upgrade for having a moustache.
- Around 350 million people of all ages around the world suffer from depression.
- Israel is the only country in the world to draft women into military service.
- South Africa is called the “Rainbow Nation” because it has 11 official languages.
Another Beer Anyone?
- Children’s Day is on November 14th in India: nine months after Valentine’s Day.
- Left-handed people have an increased cognitive flexibility, switching quickly between thinking about two concepts.
- Global warming “solved” a land dispute between India and Bangladesh – the island in dispute disappeared.
- In 2012, divers discovered a 2,000-year-old Roman shipwreck that was so well preserved, the food was intact in its storage jars.
- Cenosillicaphobia is the fear of an empty beer glass.