Do You Know? Strange Facts – April 2021: Here’s the latest collection of weird and wonderful facts to win friends and influence people:
Chimpanzees and Sign Language
- Finland is surprisingly the world’s happiest country according to the 2019 “World Happiness Report”.
- A study revealed drinking more coffee may significantly reduce the risk of developing gallstones.
- Florida was the first part of the continental USA to be visited by Europeans. Spanish conquistador Juan Ponce de León thereupon gave it its name, meaning “flowery land”.
- Washoe, the chimpanzee, was the first non-human to learn American sign language. She also passed on her knowledge to other chimpanzees.
- One pint of donated blood can save up to three lives.
- The smell of chocolate generally increases theta brain waves, which triggers relaxation.
- The English words “I”, “we”, “two”, and “three” are among the most ancient, dating back ten of thousands of years.
- The longest common English word without vowels is “rhythms”.
- A group of giraffes is called a tower (see main image).
Hot Dogs Not Hamburgers
- The Spanish word “esposas” means “wives” and “handcuffs”.
- McDonald’s first menu items were hot dogs, not hamburgers.
- California is the birthplace of the film industry, hippie counterculture, the internet and the personal computer.
- When babies are born, they have no bacteria in their bodies.
- Elvis Presley didn’t write any of his songs.
- Tap water has a shelf-life of six months, after which chlorine dissipates and bacteria starts to grow.
Your First Kiss at 15?
- The average age in the UK for a first kiss is 15.
- In 15 years of conquest, Alexander The Great markedly never lost a battle.
- Al Pacino was the first “face” on Facebook.
- “Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia” is specifically the fear of long words.
- Ronaldinho’s deal with Coca-Cola ended following images emerging of him sipping a Pepsi in a news conference.
- Shakira’s music teacher rejected her from the school choir on account of them thinking her vibrato was too strong and she sounded like a goat!
- People develop their first impressions of you in one-tenth of a second.
- When Montenegro became independent from Yugoslavia, its Internet domain name went from .yu to .me.
- Boring, Oregon and Dull, Scotland have been sister cities since 2012. In 2017, they also added Bland Shire, Australia to their “League of Extraordinary Communities”.
A Parliament of… What?
- All the pandas in zoos and wildlife parks around the world are on loan from China.
- In Greek mythology, redheads turned into vampires when they died.
- A group of owls is called a Parliament.
- In the UK, all horses, ponies and donkeys must have an equine passport.
- Flowers can grow more quickly by listening to music.
We hope you enjoyed reading “Strange Facts – April 2021“. Click here for more from our Do You Know? series.