Walkers… Not Runners
- Humans are the only animals whose brains shrink.
- Potato crisps cause more weight gain than any other food.
- Antarctica is the coldest, windiest, highest and driest continent on Earth.
- More people died in Auschwitz than the British and American losses of World War Two combined.
- Babies have three times as many taste buds as adults.
- Your brain keeps developing until your late forties.
- California contains the highest point (Mount Whitney, 14,505 feet) and the lowest point (Death Valley, 282 feet below sea level) in the contiguous United States.
- In 1944, a crossword puzzle featured D-Day operation “codenames” sending MI5 into a panic thinking their invasion plans had been discovered.
- A chimpanzee called Washoe was the first non-human to learn American Sign Language. She also passed this on to other chimpanzees.
- In London, it is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament.
How on Earth?
- Humans and dogs first became best friends 30,000 years ago.
- Earth could fit inside the Sun 1.3 million times.
- Einstein was a slow learner as a child and spoke very slowly. He also had a rebellious attitude towards authority, leading one headmaster to expel him and another to say he would never amount to much.
- Elvis Presley failed a school music class.
- Ancient Egyptians worshipped over 1,400 different gods and goddesses.
- The French government gives medals to citizens who have “successfully raised several children with dignity”.
- Fortune cookies are not a traditional Chinese custom. They were invented in early 1900 in San Francisco.
- There’s a pig weighing over 70 stone (the same as a polar bear) on a farm in Southern China!
- The highest racehorse speed ever recorded was 43.97 mph.
- A rabbi invented speed dating in 1999.
Such Striking Numbers…
- Our life expectancy has increased more in the last 50 years than in the previous 200,000 years of human existence.
- In an average lifetime, human skin completely replaces itself 900 times.
- Lightning strikes kill about 24,000 people every year.
- With 800 languages, New York is the most linguistically diverse city in the world.
- During pregnancy, if the mother suffers organ damage, her baby sends stem cells to repair the damaged organ.
Exercise can Save Your Life
- Exercise, like walking, can reduce breast cancer risk by 25%.
- Nigeria has more English speakers than the UK.
- Benjamin Franklin never patented any of his inventions. He reasoned that “we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and this we should do freely and generously”.
- Famous left-handed people include Napoleon, Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Einstein, Newton, Bill Gates, Oprah, Obama and Jimi Hendrix.
- Lego produces 306 million rubber tyres a year – more than any other company.
Thank you for reading ‘Get Walking and Eat Fewer Crisps!’, for more in our ‘Do You Know?’ series, click here.