We have some very bizarre facts for you! To read more fun facts, click here.
“In The Jungle…”
- Seventy per cent of all animals in the jungle rely on figs for their survival.
- The name “Argentina” comes from “argentum”, the Latin word for silver. Early European settlers believed the country was full of silver.
- The five cities in the US with the worst air pollution are all in California.
- One pint of donated blood can save up to three lives.
- Small animals such as flies and hummingbirds experience time in slow motion, which is why they can avoid your swats.
“You Learn Something New Everyday”
- The Amazon accounts for more than half the planet’s remaining rainforest. It is also home to more than half the world’s species of plants and animals.
- Your brain keeps developing until your late 40s.
- The Lut Desert in Iran is the hottest place on earth – temperatures can reach over 70°C.
- Headless cockroaches are capable of living for weeks. They die from starvation.
- There are about 500,000 earthquakes in the world each year. 100,000 of those can be felt, and 100 of them cause damage.
Who Doesn’t Love LEGO?
- More Colombians die every year from American tobacco than Americans die from Colombian cocaine.
- In 5,000 years of human history, only one disease has been eradicated: smallpox.
- During the Christmas season, almost 28 LEGO sets are sold every second.
- Publisher Bloomsbury offered just ￡2,500 in advance for Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, the first book of the series.
- There are more left-handed people with IQs over 140 than right-handed people, a study found.
Facebook is the New BlackBerry
- Facebook has over 100 million active users in Africa.
- It would take less than six months to get to the Moon by car at 60mph.
- Anne Frank’s sister, Margot, also had a diary. It was never found.
- Firefighters in Dubai use jetpacks to tackle blazes in high-rise buildings.
- Microwaving food does not diminish the nutrients. When done right, it’s actually one of the most nutritionally sound methods of food preparation.
“One Who is Awake”
- With over 520 million followers as of 2019, Buddhism is the world’s fourth-largest religion.
- The word “Buddha” is a title, which means “one who is awake”, in the sense of having “woken up to reality”.
- When Columbus “discovered” the Americas, the continent was already inhabited by 90 million people, a third of the world’s population at the time.
- The dot over a lowercase “i” or “j” is called a tittle.
- Disney forbid their theme park workers from growing facial hair until 2000.
- In professional shooting, alcohol is considered a performance-enhancing drug because it relaxes you and slows your heart rate enough to give you an edge.
- People drink more slowly when alcohol is served in straight glasses than curved ones, research found.
- China has treatment camps for internet addicts.
- Bananas have more trade regulations than AK-47s.
- When Montenegro became independent from Yugoslavia, its internet domain name went from .yu to .me.