We have some fabulous facts for you! To read more fun facts, click here.
“I Aorta Tell You How Much I Love You”
- Every day, your heart creates enough energy to drive a lorry for 20 miles.
- Your nose can remember 50,000 different scents.
- Humans shed about 600,000 particles of skin every hour.
- Researchers estimate that about one-third of all fish sold is deliberately mislabelled as a more expensive variety.
- Dreams get weirder as the night wears on.
That’s a Lot of Gnashers!
- Bananas have no seeds and can only reproduce with the aid of farming.
- If you eat too many carrots you may turn orange.
- Viagra can keep cut flowers standing up straight for up to a week longer than normal.
- A study found that diners given smaller forks ended up eating less.
- A garden snail has about 14,000 teeth while other species can have over 20,000. More shocking is that the teeth of an aquatic snail called the limpet are the strongest known biological material on Earth, even stronger than titanium!
- If you inhale a pea, it can sprout and grow in your lungs.
- “Lluvia de Peces” is an annual weather event in which hundreds of fish rain from the sky onto the city of Yoro in Honduras.
- The heart symbol was first used to denote love in 1250. Prior to that, it represented foliage.
- It’s scientifically proven: being in love makes you a less productive person.
- Japanese trains are among the world’s most punctual with an average delay of just 18 seconds.
- Ninety-eight percent of all adoptions in Japan are of male adults so that family businesses can remain within the family.
- All polar bears alive today can trace their ancestry back to one female brown bear who lived in Ireland 50,000 years ago.
- The postage stamp of The Statue of Liberty depicts not the real statue in New York, but the replica in Las Vegas.
- Frank Sinatra and the Rat Pack are widely credited with helping end segregation in Las Vegas, by refusing to perform in venues that wouldn’t allow blacks.
- Left-handed people process things faster than righties when playing computer games or sports.
Give Us a Kiss
- Scientists found the average mobile phone carries 18 times more potentially harmful germs than a gents’ toilet door handle.
- Albert Einstein politely declined an invitation to become president of Israel in 1952.
- Philematology is the science of kissing.
- The average person takes 183,755,600 steps in a lifetime.
- Two-thirds of all the people in the world who have ever lived to be 65 years old are still alive today.
“Time Goes By…”
- Sloths can hold their breath longer than dolphins can.
- In a lifetime, your brain’s long-term memory can hold as many as one quadrillion ( million billion) separate bits of information.
- Ancient Babylonians did math in base 60 instead of base 10. Hence 60 seconds in a minute and 360 degrees in a circle.
- In 1900, about 80 books could hold all mathematical knowledge; today it would take more than 100,000.
- Since 2015, all New York residents have had to recycle their old electronics like PCs and TVs, or face a US$100 fine.